Flash Fiction Month 2011

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

3 - Totally Joe by James Howe

This is another book I picked up last Friday from the library. It didn't take me too long to read it, although I think I might've read Another Kind of Cowboy a bit faster.

It's organized as an alphabiography, a school assignment in which Joe has to write a chapter of his autobiography for each letter. In the story, Joe is gay and very comfortable with who he is (although his coming-out scene is kind of cute). However, he is learning to let other people be who they are instead of expecting the same level of self-awareness and comfort from them! It's a very touching story and a good example of how kids can do great things given the opportunity. I also like that Joe seems to like boys, but isn't interested in kissing or being very sexual, since he is only in the seventh grade. I think that's very realistic and healthy.

I was very excited to learn that James Howe, one of my favorite childhood authors, is gay. It's good that kids have such outstanding role models to look up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment