Flash Fiction Month 2011

Friday, June 10, 2011

Figment Fable Writing Contest

I came across a contest the other day. It's on a writing website called Figment. The contest calls for a 1200 word fable (story with a moral) that takes place the night before a major (think: apocalyptic) battle. THE battle, if you will. The one that determines the course of history for the groups involved.

The cool part comes with the judging, though. Once entries are posted, people have the opportunity to heart (sort of like "liking" something on Facebook) them for a certain period of time. Paulo Coehlo, the author of The Alchemist, will be judging the most popular entries. The winner will receive $1,000. I read a few of the early entries, and they were full of typos. I'm just sayin'.

Now, if you know me very well, I might have confided in you that I am secretly writing a novel. OK, not so secretly anymore. And if you are one of about 10 people, you might even have access to the document where I do my writing.

For all the rest of you, I'm writing a novel. It begins just before THE battle. The opening scene is about 1200 words.

So...I might spend the next week editing and then submit it to the contest!

I also have another idea wriggling around that could also work. So we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment