Flash Fiction Month 2011

Monday, January 24, 2011

A mishmash of thoughts, all related to reading (I promise!)

I have so many books I can't finish one. This is a major stumbling block to my goals as a reader. I have started (and am devouring) both Free Range Kids and Five Love Languages. I have also started SEVERAL fiction titles. I'm going to need to make a decision and stick with it, or I'll NEVER get all these wonderful books read.

I might also need to give up the fanfiction websites for awhile. *sigh* Yes, I'm putting that dirty little secret out there. I might have a small addiction to fanfiction...but it's not as bad as my addiction to the bookstore and buying books. Although I did successfully browse at Books-a-Million without buying ANYTHING! (I only scanned two books into my wish list, too!)

Books added to wish list:
  • Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo
  • The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation by M. T. Anderson (This is a trilogy, I think)
  • New York by Edward Rutherford (And, come to think of it, I'd also like to read The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga)
Yes, I know this is more than two.

I'm following Laurie Halse Anderson, Mitali Perkins, Judy Blume, Sarah Dessen, Scott Westerfeld, Neil Gaiman, and John Green on Twitter. It's so cool to see their thoughts about writing and reading. Also, they post really cool links. :) Today one of them (and now I can't remember who, or find the tweet, unfortunately), posted a link that led me to two super-cool things: the 90-Second Newbery Film Festival and a blog called Laura's Life.

The 90-Second Newbery Film Festival is so totally on my list to do with at least one of my classes. We are DEFINITELY doing it.

Laura's Life is a blog written and run by a little girl (5th grade, I think) who has read ALL of the Newbery Award books. What an inspiration.

I saw a random post (might've been on Twitter...I can't remember) about an actor who might play Peeta in the movie version of Hunger Games. He's ok, I guess. I can't think of anyone better, but I'm not sure he's exactly what I pictured, especially from his comments about his preference for the "gritty kinda stuff". I guess I didn't really feel that Peeta was a "gritty" character. Hm.

I downloaded nine podcasts from Read Write Think to Yoda (my iPod) this evening. They are from the series called Text Messages, which is all about books for adolescent readers. I downloaded:
  • Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, and More
  • Reading Text Sets
  • Censorship and Your Freedom to Read
  • Dystopian Literature
  • Celebrating Poetry for Teens
  • Gay and Lesbian Characters in Young Adult Literature
  • A Conversation with Laurie Halse Anderson
  • A Conversation with John Green
  • Books Worth Owning
Each one is between 25 and 30 minutes, so I'll blog about them as I finish them, but it might be awhile.

And now, I feel compelled to apologize for the randomness of this post, but I had so many book-related thoughts swimming around, I just had to get them all jotted down! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is James Kennedy (the co-curator of the "90-Second Newbery" film festival, and the author of the YA fantasy The Order of Odd-Fish). Thanks for spreading the word about the video contest!

    ReplyDelete